Preparing for the On-line Cooking Class
- Shoaila finds the best results come using a meat grinder if you have one, if not a food processor will work
- Cooking pot/frying pan you can heat 3 inches of oil
- Slotted spoon to place Falafel balls into and out of hot oil
Provided in Cooking Kit
- Chickpeas for soaking
- Spice Blend for Falafel mix
- Pomegranate molasses for salad
- Spice mix for salad dressing
Groceries you need on hand
- Baking Powder
- Black Cumin and sesame seeds (optional decoration)
- Canola oil
- Romaine lettuce
- 2 green onions
- 2 small tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 lemon
- Toppings Optional: sliced pickles, hummus, hot sauce, tahini
In Edmonton you can find freshly baked pita from the following bakeries as well as any grocery store. (Italian Centre, H&W Produce and many other Mediterranean or Lebanese grocers carry it)
- Sunbake Pita Bakery
- Al Salam Bakery
You can purchase tahini at any of the Mediterranean grocers or find it in the International Foods aisle or Organic section of your favourite grocery store.
Bountiful Market is a great place to get fresh salad vegetables or your favourite vegetable store.
Shoaila’s Famous Falafels and Salad
1.5 cups dry chickpeas (soaked in water 1-2 days) (included)
1/2 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 packet spice blend (included)
½-1 cup water
1/2 tsp baking powder
½ bunch parsley
Canola Oil for deep frying
- Soak your chickpeas for 1-2 days
- Using a food processor, pulse the chickpeas with the onion and garlic until it forms a crumbly mixture.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the spice blend, salt and parsley and mix thoroughly.
- Add enough water to make a thick batter.
- Add baking powder, mix thoroughly, and let rest for 15 minutes before frying.
- Put your frying pan, with oil in it, on high heat and then turn down to medium heat.
- Shape mixture into balls or patties. Lower into oil and let cook until outer layer is dark golden brown all around (about 1 minute).
- Remove and place on paper towel-lined plate.
3 spears romaine lettuce, chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
½ Cucumber, chopped
¼ bunch parsley, chopped
1 lemon, peeled chop into small pieces
1 packet spice mix (included)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp pomegranate molasses (included)
- Mix first 4 ingredients in a bowl
- Add rest of dressings to the bowl and mix
- Add right before eating so the lettuce doesn’t wilt (if eating with falafels, sprinkle salt on filling before wrapping
BUILDING FALAFEL WRAPS
- Put falafels on pita in a row (4 for large pita, 3 for small)
- Break apart falafels a bit with fingers
- Top with salad
- Sprinkle with salt
- Other great toppings: sliced pickles, hummus, hot sauce
- Roll up tightly
HUMMUS (Bonus Recipe)
2 cans chickpeas
2 cloves garlic peeled
½ cup tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients in food processor for approximately 8-10 minutes until very smooth
- Add water if necessary to ensure it mixes well and is a very smooth texture
- Recommended presentation: spread thick layer of hummus on a small dish. Create a shallow circular indentation. Pour on a generous amount of olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, dried mint, and hot pepper flakes
If this is too large for your family decrease recipe accordingly.